Happy new year!
Remember when I shared that insanely cheesy Garlic Crack Bread with all of you last month? Well, I have another recipe up my sleeve that will warm your heart and clog our lovely arteries with equally unapologetic fervor–the perfect way to start the new year in my book. Reader, please to make the acquaintance of these Cheesy Garlic Crescent Rolls! Trust me, this is going to be one fast friendship you won’t want to miss in 2016!
I don’t know about your holiday traditions, but the table at holiday dinners (especially this past Christmas) is always something of a battle zone in our family. The number of innovative chefs in our family is skyrocketing as our numbers continue to expand–thank goodness for food-savvy in-laws!–but this also means more jostling elbows and flying forks with which to wrangle when it comes to getting food on my plate. Fortunately, I’ve come up with a great system for winning our annual food fights, and it’s this…
Channeling my inner Katniss Everdeen. Muahahaha. May the brussel sprouts be ever in my favor!
A second (perhaps slightly less worrisome) alternative is to make all of the best food at home and consume as much of it as you’d like before bringing it over to share. That may or may not have been the case when it comes to these Cheesy Garlic Crescent Rolls. Shhh!
I first tried them at Thanksgiving, when one of my cousins brought out a tray as pre-dinner tasters. They’re exactly what they sound like: oozing, melty mozzarrella cheese wrapped in a warm blanket of crescent roll, butter, and garlic. How could I not recreate them on my own?
Fortunately, I was hosting an end-of-year holiday party for my friends a few weeks back at my place, which meant that I had a chance to flex my foodie muscles and test out my theory. Since my friend and I were making food for 18 in a single afternoon, speed was of the essence and my mind immediately flew to these cheesy rolls. After browsing a few different recipes, I decided to wing it (as one does) and go with my gut. A bit of garlic here, some melted butter there, rolling cheese, slather slather slather, and then…
Pardon my French, but holy hot damn…these were amazing!!
But then again, what did you expect from an appetizer called cheesy garlic crescent rolls anyway, right?
I felt like a true Asian cook by the end of the whole experience, because in retrospect I have no idea how much of what or when I put in wherever. Whoops? I recall there being a lot of throwing things around at random and my being all like “OH, this is goooood”….but I can see now why my mom and aunts can’t teach me how to cook now. If you’ve ever cooked in the kitchen with somebody who says “just put in enough salt” or “oh, about this much” without actually showing you how much they actually mean, you know exactly what I mean. And now I’m turning into that person. Shame on me.
So good though. Seriously. Make these if you can follow my approximations!
All you really need for this “recipe” are: two cans of prepackaged crescent roll dough, mozzarrella cheese sticks, butter, garlic, and a bit of dried basil if you have it. I’d stick with real butter, because butter comes in sticks (ha ha), but also because I recently converted to butter from margarine and oh MY. Excuse the tangent, but do you remember how you felt the first time you watched Interstellar?
Yeah, butter is basically as good as Christopher Nolan.
Prepare to have your taste buds blown–sending these rolls and my love to you and your families for the new year!
Happy New Year!
Kick off the new year with some more amazing recipes from the Sunday Supper fam!
Appetizers and Soups
- Borscht from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Cheesy Garlic Crescent Rolls from Wallflour Girl
- Cheesy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms from Runner’s Tales
- Creamy Zucchini Soup from Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Garlic Chili Tiger Prawns from Food Lust People Love
- Honey Bacon Ranch Boneless Chicken Wings from From Gate to Plate
- Lion’s Head Meatball Soup from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- New England Seafood Chowder from Curious Cuisiniere
- Potato and Carrot Leek Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Steve’s Crab Dip from Monica’s Table
- Almond Breaded Pork Chops from Casa de Crews
- Beef Roast Dinner from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Bourbon Glazed Porkchops from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cauliflower Tetrazzini from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken Pot Pie from Feeding Big and more
- Chicken Supreme in Yorkshire Puddings from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cranberry Mustard Pork Chop Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Fideua (Catalan pasta paella) from Caroline’s Cooking
- French-Inspired Macaroni and Cheese from MyGourmetConnection
- Grandma’s Fried Chicken from The Freshman Cook
- Gluten Free Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Veggie Bowl from Fearless Dining
- Huevos Rancheros from Palatable Pastime
- Indian Spiced Roast Salmon from Soni’s Food
- Korean Spicy Braised Swordfish from kimchi MOM
- Larb Gai (Spicy Thai Chicken Salad) from Rhubarb and Honey
- Lemon Rosemary Chicken from Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Mediterranean Flatbread from Magnolia Days
- Mustard-Crusted Pork Roast from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Orchietti Pasta with Swiss Chard and White Cannelini Beans from Delaware Girl Eats
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower from Nosh My Way
- Red Wine-Mushroom Braised Short Ribs from The Crumby Cupcake
- Rustic Portuguese Chicken Stew from Family Foodie
- Salsa Verde Turkey Shepherd’s Pie from Food Done Light
- Sausage & Pasta in a Quick Tomato Sauce from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Savory Ham, Cheese and Sage Waffles from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Shrimp and Asparagus Crepes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Simple, Healthy, Light and Lemony Fettuccine from MidLife Road Trip
- Simplest Roast Chicken from Get the Good Stuff
- Smoked Mozzarella and Sausage Pizza from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Smothered Pork Chops from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spinach Spätzli with Sage and Speck from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Turkey Cutlets with Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ultimate Mac and Cheese from Our Good Life
- Vegan Mexican Rice and Lentils from PancakeWarriors
- Ziti with Porcini Bolognese Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Gramma Buckholt’s Yeast Rolls with Maple-Cinnamon Butter from The Weekend Gourmet
- Lager and Rye Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls from Wholistic Woman
- Winter Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bacon Buttermilk Biscuit with Chocolate Gravy from Brunch with Joy
- Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Kahlua Buttercream Frosting from Flour On My Face
- Chocolate Hazelnut Tart from Taste And See
- Death by Chocolate from Desserts Required
- Fudge Frosted Brownies from Party Food and Entertaining
- Gluten Free Tropical Banana Pineapple Coconut Muffins from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Layered Mousse Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Cup Flourless Chocolate Cake Roll from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Pistachio Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Take the Sunday Supper Month Pledge plus Family Friendly Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.