Posts might be sparse around here these weeks, but food is most definitely not in short supply! Part of the reason for this is because I just got back from a Charles Dickens conference in Santa Cruz, where 300 Victorianists from all over the world congregated to discuss Dickens’ 1848 novel Dombey and Son and lament the dining hall food in tearful, poetic unison. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from our week-long stint, it’s that no academic event is complete without good, old-fashioned booze–and lots of it! Which, of course, makes these booze-soaked chocolate Kahlua rum balls super topical and super-duper intellectual.
As we say in the academic world: don’t be simplistic, but do be simple. While not every lecture during this conference adhered to this rule (though the wonderful majority of them did!), you can bet your Victorian ball gown that this simple chocolaty, silky, boozy dessert does. (Have I mentioned that it’s no-bake?) All you need are five minutes and six ingredients: crumbled brownies, walnuts, light corn syrup, powdered sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, and–oh yeah–lots of rum. Rum to your heart’s delight. One days, two days, rummy days. Rum, Forrest, Rum!
Meanwhile, I’m off to recover from the, er, festivities, but never fear–I’ll be back soon! After an entire week of 18-hour days, Victorian-themed (dance) parties all night every night, and endless socializing with some of the most amazing people on this planet, though, I’m ready for a bit of well-earned R&R. Not that you’ll miss me much: just make sure you make these silky chocolate bites every few days or so and I’ll be back before you notice!
Sending my chocolaty love,
- 3 cups finely crumbled brownies (I used just under 1/2 a batch of my favorite 9x13-inch baked brownies recipe
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (additional needed for rolling)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup Kahlua (or other rum/coffee-flavored liqueur)
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients.
- Shape into one-inch balls and place onto prepared cookie sheet. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour, then roll balls in additional powdered sugar until each ball is completely coated. Enjoy immediately or store in airtight container for up to one week. (The flavor develops with time as well, so you can make these a few days in advance before serving!)