These bakery-style chocolate chip cookies are perfectly chewy in the middle, crispy around the edges, and filled with delicious semi-sweet chocolate morsels. Extra-large and certainly as good as–if not better than–the cookies you’d find in your neighborhood bakery!
Like any good baker, I have been on a perennial quest to discover the BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe out there.
I’ve shared these perfect pudding chocolate chip cookies and my self-proclaimed favorite thick, chewy chocolate chip cookies, but I have yet to meet a cookie that fits the “bakery-style” bill quite as well as these do. Crispy edges, perfectly chewy centers, and chock-full of chocolate morsels: these cookies are bound to leave your friends stunned and begging for more! My swim coach’s wife apparently devoured seven before my coach even managed to snag a bite, and I’ve been delivering the rest to the entire department as thank-you gifts for putting up with me throughout these past few years.
Oh, and even my mom ate them. She actually ate several of them in one sitting without a single comment, which is basically the highest seal of approval that you can receive from an Asian parent.
Between intermittent spurts of baking and work, I’ve been celebrating post-graduation life with–wait for it–one round of strep throat and another hearty bout of bronchitis/costochondritis! Hooray! I’d planned to post more frequently the moment I walked across the graduation stage (more on that exciting news next week), but I’m currently on my second round of antibiotics and hoping that this time they’ll actually do the trick. My right ribcage feels like it’s about to explode with all of the coughing and vomiting that have become my besotted bedside fellows over the past three weeks!
Sending all my love and a healthy dozen of these perfect, extra-large bakery-style chocolate chip cookies your way this week!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extra.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add flour, dissolved baking soda, and salt to wet ingredients. Fold in dry ingredients with a spatula until just incorporated. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Toss your dough + mixing bowl into the freezer for 15 minutes. (The original recipe does not call for this step, but it is incredibly helpful for making your dough easier to work with! Plus it helps decrease spreading and makes your XL cookies even taller and chewier.)
- Scoop out 1/4 cup dough at a time and roll to form a ball. Place dough mounds at least 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until edges are golden brown and centers have just set. Remove baking sheet from oven and allow cookies to continue cooling on stovetop for at least 5 minutes.