This flourless chocolate cake is rich, fudgy, and perfectly served with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream. It takes just 30 minutes from start to finish and serves one hungry chocoholic–ideal for a cozy evening spent indoors or as a cute single-serving date night dessert.
No flour on the grocery store shelves, no hapless friends or coworkers on whom I can foist, unlimited time to bake at home. What’s a girl to do during COVID-19 quarantine?
I’ll tell you what she’s to do. She’s going to make this unbelievably rich, fudgy 30-Minute Flourless Chocolate Cake for One, shove a pile of French vanilla ice cream on top, stick a fork in it, and eat it all herself while the seams of her unwashed yoga pants burst like a llama pinata at a children’s birthday party.
If you’re like me and absolutely itching to stress bake your heart out without putting on a million pounds because #quarantine, this single-serving flourless chocolate cake is for you. (Okay, it’s actually more like two servings, but since we’re all stuck indoors in our day pajamas and perpetual bedhead there is nobody out there left to judge you/me.) I made the critical error during Lockdown Week #1 of baking an entire cheesecake and I swear I’ll never look at cheesecake the same way again.
And the very best part? This cake takes just 30 minutes and one mixing bowl to make–meaning that if, say, you started an episode of Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist right as you begin baking, you’ll be indulging in warm flourless chocolate cake just as Max (a.k.a. the incomparably cute Skylar Astin) starts singing one of his oh-so adorable love songs and makes your heart melt forever. Much like the luscious, smooth French vanilla ice cream that you’re going to add on top of this warm, gooey, fudgy chocolate cake. Am I right or am I right?
Either way, enjoy, indulge, and stay safe!
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Kahlua (optional--you can also sub in 2 teaspoons of espresso powder)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 3.5-inch round baking dish and set aside.
- Add chocolate chips and butter into a medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between each until chocolate is half-melted. Remove from microwave and continue stirring until smooth. (Be careful not to overheat or your chocolate will seize!)
- Add sugar, salt, egg, vanilla, and Kahlua (if using). Stir until combined, then mix in cocoa powder.
- Pour batter into prepared dish and bake for 20-23 minutes, until top is slightly crackly or mostly set. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream or enjoy directly from the baking dish--you deserve it!