Missing your Main Street magic? Fry up some Disneyland love with these mini Churro Bites, straight from the official Disney Parks Blog recipe vault!
Disneyland churros are wayyy more worth it than Disneyland Dole Whip. FIGHT ME.
Here are some scientifically proven* common psychological and emotional health benefits of choosing a Disneyland churro:
- Involves levels of cinnamon-y sugary-coated goodness guaranteed to give you a sugar rush that will last you through the evening fireworks show
- Will not melt all over your hands or onto the heads on your sticky children
- Does not require cruel and unusual wait times
- Can be wielded as an emergency light saber against unexpected Storm Trooper attacks (light saber noises not included)
- Can also be held up in a crowd like a honing beacon when you lose members of your party on Main Street
*Scientific funds for studying this in a controlled, unbiased setting were cut due to a budget crisis, so I hired myself instead to conduct the study and this is what I discovered/randomly decided.
While you’re unlikely to get much light saber leverage out of these Disneyland Churro Bites that I made last week, I still guarantee they’ll be a hit at home. They look simple but with their light, crispy cinnamon crust and unbelievably soft center, they’ll transport you back to Disneyland as quickly as Anton Ego was transported back to his rural French childhood after eating Remy’s ratatouille.
You might also have noticed that my churro bites don’t have that classic ridged “churro” shape, and right now you might be thinking to yourself, Fie! What fool do you take me for? These are no more churros than cheesecake is a cake! And to that, I’ll respond with equal alacrity: Knave! I misplaced my star-tipped piping bag and yonder grocery store had none left for me to purchase. But be not fooled by appearances, for these taste every bit like the realio dealio!
Bottom line: If you want these to look like the original Disney churro bites, by all means use your star-tipped piping bag! And stop shouting at me in highly inaccurate Medieval thought-speak, please. Methinks it gives me high anxiety.
If you’re feeling especially ambitious, or if you just happen to have
the entire 2020 some extra time to spare, I definitely recommend making this chocolate dipping sauce that will boost your Disneyland street cred to “Infinity and Beyond” levels. It requires just heavy cream and semisweet chocolate chips, so you’ll be dunkin’ your churro bites and on your merry way to the Happiest Place on Earth in no time at all.
Vote’s out! What delightful Disneyland snack would YOU want to see recreated next?
For the Disneyland churro bites:
- 1 cup water
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
For the chocolate dipping sauce
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
To make Disneyland churro bites:
- Combine water, butter, salt, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon in 1 ½-quart saucepan over medium heat. Bring pot to rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add flour and stir vigorously until mix forms a ball. Remove from heat and let rest for 5-7 min.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Using caution, heat oil in medium skillet or 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat or until temperature reaches 350˚.
- Spoon dough into piping bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe 1-inch strip of dough over saucepan, cut with knife, and drop into hot oil. Repeat until churro bites fill saucepan with room to fry.
- Fry churro bites until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon or mesh spider strainer.
- Drain churro bites on paper towel.
- Mix sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl. Toss in churro bites until coated. Place on serving plate and serve with favorite dipping sauce.
To make chocolate dipping sauce:
- Place chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl. Set aside.
- In a pan over low heat, heat up heavy whipping cream until it just begins to steam and the edges form tiny bubbles. Immediately remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips.
- Allow mixture to sit for 3 minutes, then stir vigorously until chocolate melts completely into cream. Serve with your fresh, perfectly crispy Disneyland churro bites!