It’s my first post as part of the Sunday Supper family! If you are stopping by because you’re a #SundaySupper member, be warned: I MIGHT LOVE YOU ALREADY.
Remember how I told you guys about my Smile a Day wall over on my good friend Nancy’s blog? Well, this group most certainly qualifies for an entire Smile-A-Day wall of its own–I hadn’t even officially scheduled my first post and last Wednesday I received this outpouring of #SundaySupper love:
They’re like the children’s lit scholars of the academic world: bubbly, personable, excited about what they do, and thrilled to share the experience with everyone they know. Forget Platinum Club Exclusive Blogging: these folks want their members to feel welcome–and what’s more, they’re eager to be all like, “Hey, we’re pretty cool, mebbe you should join us?”
So yeah, I’m pretty stoked to be here–oh and if you are pumped as well, you can learn all about Sunday Supper here. The actual logistics are a little confusing at first, so feel free to message me if you have questions!
Each Sunday, the group gathers virtually to share a bunch of awesome recipes based on the week’s theme. Today’s theme calls for firing up those grills and embracing the lackadaisical summer heat: it’s Summer BBQ!
I first discovered #SundaySupper through the inestimable Liz, whose blog That Skinny Chick Can Bake I’ve been following since the dawn of time (or like a year ago). She’s been my awesome mentor and walked me through every step of Sunday Supper, so here’s my yodel to her! Yodelethankyou! My good friend Courtney from Neighbor Food has also been super helpful–thanks, girls!
My inaugural host: Melanie from Melanie Makes. THANK YOU. You will forever go down in history as the wonderful blogger who paved my foray into the wonderful world of Sundays. (Yeah, I told you I’d get creepy!)
The skies are screaming sunshine like a hyper five-year old kid after ten pounds of sugar on Halloween, but I’ll be honest: it doesn’t feel like summer. It felt like summer three months ago, when I moseyed down to the farmer’s market every week loading up my hardcore backpack and bike basket with an overflowing abundance of fresh fruits and veggies.
Ahh, the paradoxical life of a grad student. Now that summer is officially in full swing, things are busier than ever! Apart from trying to crank out research and recover from the post-conference travel slump, circumstances have mandated that I am no longer cooking any of my own meals on the weekdays. Without the kitchen in my everyday life, cooking has become to me what flying is to this kiwi. And I make every excuse I can to make this pasta when I cook these days.
I am dreaming of summer BBQ’s.
And guys, I am 110% dreaming of this fusion dish, which takes all of 20 minutes to whip up and is hands down one of my favorite go-to recipes on this blog. I have yet to make it for a BBQ, but the endless combination of fresh produce and refreshing, lighter fusion flavors make it an instant recipe-requested hit at any event your little heart desires/requires. And right now, my heart desires a lot of summer BBQ’ing before the summer whisks itself away again.
The vegetables you use in this pasta are pretty much up to you: I used sweet potatoes (a great choice–totally different and recommended!), onions, green onions, wilted kale, and baby carrots–but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. The hearty, nutty taste of the whole wheat pasta is also a great idea!
But the sauce is what sends this recipe over the top, making it one of my most requested recipes ever: it’s a
sauce with a kick
from the Korean red pepper / gochujang sauce that I did not own until this year and now LOVE. I use it in everything except my cookies, and those may become my next gochujang victim (because siracha cookies are already a thing, right?). You guys need to order a tub if you’ve never used it (though for those of you who wouldn’t buy a tub just for this recipe, you can sub dried red pepper flakes and a smidge of chili sauce/sweet chili sauce or omit the heat completely).
But here I am singing praises over this ol’ humble superstar dish when you have loads of fellow #SundaySupper folks’ recipes to check out–and speaking which, I have a monumental task ahead of me getting to know all these lovely new friends. So toodles for now–and have yourself a very merry summer!
So if you’re as creepily in love with the idea behind #SundaySupper as I am, you’ll definitely want to check out these features from other SS folks! I will be. Every. Single. One.
- Best Wines For A Summer BBQ Party from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Grilled Peach and Cinnamon Whiskey Sour from Peaceful Cooking
- How To Make Fresh Squeezed Lemonade from Life Tastes Good
- Pineapple Margaritas from The Messy Baker
- Stone Fruit Sangria from Because I Like Chocolate
- Strawberry Lemonade from Basic N Delicious
- BBQ Stuffed Calimari from Jane’s Adventure in Dinner
Sides and Accompaniments
- Cucumber Salad with Blackberry Browned Butter Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Easy Fruity Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter from The Redhead Baker
- Jacques’ Cucumber Salad with Onions from Food Lust People Love
- Mango Peanut Slaw from The Texan New Yorker
- Mom’s Classic Macaroni Salad from Webicurean
- Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce from Bobby’s Kozy Kitchen
- Two Tomato Chutney from What Smells So Good?
- Asian-Style Pasta with Gochujang Peanut Sauce from Wallflour Girl
- Barbecue Ribs from girlichef
- BBQ Stuffed Peppers from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bistecca from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Competition Baby Back Ribs with Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Clams with Chorizo from Noshing With The Nolands
- Grilled Sanma from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil from Nosh My Way
- Grilled Swordfish and Eggplant with Fusilli and Tomatoes from Cooking Chat
- Grilled Wings from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Oregano Spatchcock Chicken from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Beef Kebabs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Steak Skewers with Chimichurri from Jelly Toast
- Sweet and Tangy Blueberry BBQ Chicken Pizza from Simply Gourmet
- Amazing S’mores 7-Layer Bars from Flavor Mosaic
- Banana Pudding Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blackberry Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry and Raspberry Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Farm Stand Blackberry Buckle from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Crumble from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Cream and Sweet Balsamic Syrup from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie from Melanie Makes
- Lemon Ricotta Bars from The Foodie Army Wife
- Old Fashioned Sour Cherry Pie from Pies and Plots
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- S’mores Chocolate Cookie Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.