If life milestones were potluck dishes, moving would be a crusty dry loaf of fruitcake. I’m sure somebody out there appreciates fruitcake, and likewise I’m sure somebody loves the nonstop hubbub of moving residences. That person is not me. Especially not Studying Me, which tolerates everything at a 50% lower threshold than Normal, Socialized Me.
In case you missed it previously, here’s the rundown: Studying Me is extremely grateful to her parents, who basically magicked her entire store of belongings into her new apartment this weekend while she guiltily (I mean, really guiltily) shuffled her feet and finished speed-reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Studying Me also LOVES the new place, which has a kitchen that takes up 40% of the apartment and contains 75% of all my belongings. But Studying Me is currently typing this blog post on an unhappy stomach full of emoteating (read: emotionally-induced eating) because apparently she doesn’t cope well with stress, separation, and studying all in one fell swoop. So it’s been 12 whole hours and I’m short half a jar of peanut butter already.
Three hours after leaving, my mom called and asked me how I was doing, and if I was making brownies already. I was not. I was too busy emoteating, writing this post, and wishing really hard for this granola to pop out of my screen a la Willy Wonka’s Television Chocolate Room to make the damn brownies. #yeahwhatjusthappened
Studying Me and Normal Me both love this brand new, bold King of Crunchiness cookie butter and espresso-flavored granola I invented in my pre-move procrastination. It is insanely crunchy, coffee-y, cookie-y. It is also based on–and probably rivals–the Honey Bunches of Oats Copy-Better Recipe that all of you loved and repinned like mad last year. It’s the perfect breakfast-on-the-go food in a smokier, sexier, adult-ier kind of way. Not that I know anything about what being adult-ier entails, since I am currently sitting on the floor of my next-to-bare apartment floor and lolling next to my laptop with as much motivation to do anything as a tranquilized rhinoceros might have.
You can use your imagination to figure out what that even means. Or you could put your time to better use and print this awesome recipe, make it, and send it to
Yours truly, and slightly deranged, but surely in her right
mind taste buds,
P.S. If you’ve noticed an onslaught of “Start the New Year Right” and Skinny Recipes for 2014! collections on your news feed lately: Never fear, I’m ready to ruin that for all of you with some fabulously buttered-up sweets in my next few posts. Cheerios!
Crunchy Cookie Butter Espresso Granola Ingredients:
- 3 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup almonds or preferred nut, chopped
- 1/3 cup black sesame seeds (optional)
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple or pancake syrup
- 1/4 cup cookie butter (homemade or store-bought)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan (or whatever large size baking pan you have available–enough to fit 3 1/2 cups of oats in an even layer no more than two inches thick). Pour oats, chopped nuts, and black sesame seeds (if you have them) into prepared pan.
- In a medium saucepan, heat brown sugar and brewed coffee until it just begins to boil. Turn off heat, then stir in oil, syrup, cookie butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour over oats mixture and stir until all of the oats are evenly coated. Pat oats evenly into bottom of pan so that the layer is no more than two inches thick. (This will help your granola achieve optimal crispiness!)
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes (stirring every 15 minutes), or until toasted and a dark golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in pan before crumbling. Store in an airtight container.
4 Replies to “Crunchy Cookie Butter Espresso Granola”
It’s always a pain to move, isn’t it? Sounds like your new place is nice, though. And this is a great recipe! Much better than studying. 😉
Just a bit, but I’m liking it more and more now! I find myself getting irritable during moves, so I’m glad I’m better at catching myself at it now that I’m settled 😉 thanks, John!
I think you use text on photos better than anyone else I know! love it. And I’m allllll about cookie butter, especially in granola!!!
You’ve officially made my day with your comment–that’s one of the sweetest things anybody has said about my blog, ever. Thanks a bushel and a peck, Erika!