I have so many updates (I mean, seriously. SO MANY!!!) for you guys from the World Food Championships over here in Kissimmee, Florida, but I can’t get into them now because we’re in the middle of soooo many crazy things and they haven’t quite sunk in as it is. But I’ll be tweeting and IGing pics as much as I can before I write my recap post (er, or posts) in a few days, so if you’re impatient then follow me on social media for the latest and greatest news!
But ermigawd I’m so excitedddddddddd. Also, please don’t take it personally if I don’t reply to your comments or visit your lovely blogs in the upcoming week–I haven’t been out of the kitchen all this week!
Okay, that’s enough of a teaser for now 😉 moving on!
I made these vegan coconut scones the evening before my flight to Orlando last week–if you’ve never made scones at home before, you’re in for a real treat. Rather than being of the crumbly variety, this recipe yields a scone that is feather-light and omg-I-NEED-this-now kind of fluffy. I had neglected to ask my students whether any of them had dietary restrictions, but I love making vegan treats so I decided to try my hand at a dairy and egg-free scone.
Remember my “omg” moment like, 5 seconds ago?
Forget that for a minute. Because ermigawd these scones so gooooooooooood!
Yeah, I get excited pretty easily. But these really are amazing and simple to make!
All it takes is some of your usual suspects: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, dairy-free margarine, etc etc. I also swapped in some coconut oil (to add that classic coconutty flavor) and some sweetened dried coconut for texture. If you’re not a fan of coconut, feel free to play around with this recipe as you like! White chocolate, cranberries, lemon zest, blueberries–the possibilities are viritually endless.
And delicious. Did I mention these vegan scones are amazing?!
Get the recipe below, and I’ll see you all on the other side of Florida! All I can say is, keep your fingers crossed!
What’s your favorite scone flavor?
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons dairy and egg-free mayo OR 1 flax egg
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded dried coconut
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles a crumbly sand. Mix in mayo/flax egg and soy milk. Fold in shredded coconut.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured cutting board. Separate dough into 5 balls and roll each one out into a circle (about 5-6 inches in diameter). Cut each dough circle into 3 equal triangles, then place them 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden. Allow to cool slightly before rolling each scone in powdered sugar.