If you were standing in my apartment earlier this morning, that would have been the inarticulate sound from the kitchen.
Now before you panic (oh my god, there’s a MANDOLIN SLICER in her photos!!!), I can assure you that it wasn’t a scream of pain.
No, my friends–that was a shriek of pure joy issuing in glass-shattering pitch as I played with my newest kitchen toy. And I am so so so excited to share it with all of you today–can you tell?
OXO recently sent me another lovely bundle for my pasta-making lazy days: this Adjustable Hand-Held Mandoline Slicer, a Grape & Tomato Cutter, and a beautifully sturdy Rice & Grains Washing Colander with a draining spout near the top edge for easy pouring. Now as a gal who doesn’t often indulge in acquiring “kitchen gadgets” (okay, maybe the bread maker I got for Christmas is an exception. And the confectioner’s sugar dusting wand. And the Mickey Mouse ice cream scoop….oh fine, I love kitchen gadgets), the arrival of these wonderful toys via mail could only mean one thing: pasta play day!
By noontime, thinly sliced zucchini was sizzling on the stovetop and my pasta was happily draining al dente in its colander. With all of the craziness happening around here lately, it was a relief to just spend an hour in the kitchen cooking, slicing, photographing, and–best of all–eating a truly homecooked meal.
Even I was surprised at how fresh this whole meal tasted–with whole wheat pasta, lightly cooked zucchini, quartered cherry tomatoes, a dollop of marinara sauce, and a sprinkling of assorted cheeses, this pasta is giving me the physical, emotional, and mental fuel to get through the rest of this crazy day (I’m currently preparing a guest lecture for Tuesday’s English survey course and am slightly freaking out, but don’t mind me).
That’s a lot with which to credit a bowl of pasta, but seriously, guys. Go forth, make pasta, and be happy!
Happy pasta-making, everyone!
- 8 oz. dried whole wheat pasta
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced with an OXO Adjustable Hand-Held Mandoline Slicer
- 20 cherry tomatoes, quarter with an OXO Grape & Tomato Cutter
- 2 cups store-bought marinara pasta sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded assorted cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring lightly salted pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 7-8 minutes. Drain pasta in a colander and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium heat and cook zucchini slices for about 1-2 minutes. Add quartered tomatoes and cook for an additional minute. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour pasta into a serving dish. Top with zucchini, tomatoes, warmed pasta sauce, and cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!