This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #20MinutesToTasty #CollectiveBias
I’m taking a break from talking your ears off about my Europe trip today to tell you all about what went down this Halloween weekend with this mm-mazing Creamy Tomato Penne Pasta with Jalapeno Poppers! (Which, I suppose, is Italian food, so I suppose we’re still talking about Italy today. Bite me, Italy rocks.)
This weekend we invited over our new “global siblings” family for a Halloween potluck & party. The fam is part of a program that helps international and domestic students connect throughout the year in an open, welcoming environment, and this year Anson & I are co-coordinators for our 30-sib group! About twenty of us crammed ourselves into my cozy apartment on Saturday night, dressed to the nines in pirate gear and oblique Game of Thrones costumes involving dragons. We all had such a blast, getting to know each other and mingling and chowing down and, in typical grad student fashion, drinking. Four hours prior, however, the fun had already begun–A had brought his bluetooth speakers and we were jamming out to 80s dance music in my kitchen while exchanging costumes (I was young Ellie from Up, he had a kangaroo onesie) and cooking up a storm with this bomb-amazing pasta!
Diligently preparing pasta–perfect for entertaining season!–for our sibling potluck
One of the things that I love most about this pasta is that, amidst all the bustle and business of trying to get ready in time for the family party and the rest of the entertaining season, it only took 20 minutes to make from start to finish. Knowing under what time crunch we’d be operating on Saturday afternoon, I had made a trip over to Walmart the day before to grab a box of Farm Rich jalapeno poppers and another of breaded mushrooms in the frozen food aisle of the store, thinking that I’d toss them into one of our pasta potluck dishes. Turns out, I ended up eating half the box before we even made the pasta!
Thankfully, Farm Rich apps are made with wholesome ingredients and ready in just minutes, so I was a pretty happy camper all in all. Plus, it turns out that the kick from these jalapeno poppers is the absolutely perfect and unexpected complement to the creamy 15-minute tomato cream sauce that I made, so win-win-and-win all around! (Pro tip: if you sign up for the Farm Rich Loyalty Club, you can even receive exclusive offers and recipes to go along with this delicious pasta!) This is the perfect dish to make now that the busy holiday season is coming up, and I’m already planning to make more to bring for our Friendsgiving fam dinner in a few weeks.
Hope you all had a spook-tacular Halloween and are excited for the coming weeks! How will you be celebrating the holiday season with friends/family?
- 16 oz. penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 vegetarian sausages, sliced
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarrella cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 Farm Rich jalapeno poppers
- Bring a lightly salted pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to instructions for 8-10 minutes, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat up oil in a heavy pan and pan-fry sliced sausages for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Add tomatoes and red pepper flakes, then simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream and simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes, then turn off heat. Stir in cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in pasta, then transfer to a large serving plate. Top with jalapeno poppers and enjoy!