Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MazolaHeartHealth #CollectiveBias
For Heart Health Month this February, I partnered up with Mazola Corn Oil to create a better-for-you version of one of our (and soon to be your) favorite snacks: banana bread! In case you didn’t know, Mazola® Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses, including baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing. A clinical study also showed that Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil! (To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.)
As an athlete, heart health is kiiiiind of important to me–and that’s exactly where this Better-for-You Banana Bread comes in. It’s lightened up in all the right ways to achieve the perfect blend of subtle sweetness. I started with one of my favorite banana bread recipes but immediately swapped out Greek yogurt for the sour cream, white whole wheat flour for all-purpose, and Mazola Corn Oil for butter. And guys, this recipe convinced me that I am never making banana bread with butter again, because the texture of this bread is absolutely jaw-dropping. A moist, chewy center embraced by perfectly crisp edges (which I’ve never achieved on a loaf like this before)–from here on out, this is the ONLY way I’m making my quick breads! Did I mention it only takes 10 minutes to throw together and into a pan, too? I mean, just check out that perfect, dense, moist crumb! Be still, my beautiful, wonderful healthy heart!
As I made my way through this banana bread-making journey, I even picked up some fun facts from Mazola that are perfect for sharing this Heart Health Month! For instance, did you know:
- The American Heart Association recently advised replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat (like that found in corn oil) in order to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by 30%? “A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
- Simple swaps like subbing butter with corn oil mean reducing saturated fats and cholesterol?
- The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans now emphasize choosing quality, “good” fats! According to the USDA, corn oil has five times the amount of polyunsaturated fats compared to olive oil?* A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. *To learn more about these claims, visit Mazola.com.
So what are you waiting for? Give this Better-for-You Banana Bread a go! It’s honestly the best thing you could do for your heart (and your taste buds, and your tummy, and probably your emotional regulation and a million other things, too).
Are you ready to embark on your heart health journey? Try this recipe and then check out Mazola’s website for more great heart-healthy ideas!
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Mazola® corn oil
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 overly ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, vanilla or plain
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together both sugars, corn oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently fold into wet ingredients until just incorporated.
- Mix in mashed bananas and yogurt.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.