Oh boy! Bring the Happiest Place on Earth home with these light, fluffy Mickey Mouse Beignets (just like the ones you get in Disneyland’s New Orleans Square)!
I don’t know about you guys, but this week I just needed some good old-fashioned magic in my life!
Ever since Disneyland closed last month, their Parks blog has started sharing some of its iconic recipes so that forlorn fans like you and me can eat our way through our feelings at home. I immediately bookmarked their recipe for my absolute favorite Disneyland churros, but before I had a chance to grab my cinnamon sugar, this recipe for their signature New Orleans Square Mickey Mouse Beignets caught my eye. I mean, what screams “Happiest Place on Earth” more than these adorable, pillowy, super delicious Mickey Mouse Beignets?
(Fun fact: I love the Disney Parks Blog–they’re the same blog that covered this exclusive one-day Peter Pan parade that I helped pitch and create at Walt Disney World back in 2018!)
Let me tell you now: These beignets are every bit as good as the ones that you get at Disneyland, if not better because you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that you made them all yourself! And because you can eat them hot off the wok, you’re guaranteed to get these warm, airy, and melt-in-your-mouth-perfect every single time.
While the prospect of working with beignet dough or deep-frying might sound daunting, let me tell you right now that this recipe is totally manageable. In fact, most of the steps involve just sitting around and waiting for your dough to floof up or chill out, which is my kind of recipe. For the deep-frying, just make sure that you have enough oil (at least 3 inches deep) and that you check the beignets regularly to see if the bottom has turned a nice light golden brown. As soon as each one has, flip it over, repeat, and transfer it to a paper-lined plate for degreasing.
And then the powdered sugar. Go wild, folks. Like seriously–you’re making Mickey Mouse Beignets like total bad-asses AT HOME, so treat yourselves on this one. You’ll thank me, I promise.
Which Disneyland fan in your life needs these Mickey Mouse Beignets right now?
Mickey Mouse Beignets
Oh boy! If you're missing the magic of Disneyland, try this official recipe for Mickey Mouse Beignets. Light, fluffy, and perfect--just like the real deal! Featuring the official Mickey Mouse Beignets recipe from Disney Parks Blog.
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and cut individual beignets with a Mickey Mouse-shaped cutter or cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares. Cover with a towel and let dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Using caution, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F in a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Fry beignets until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to drain. Dust warm beignets with powdered sugar and serve immediately.