Creamy, dreamy New York style cheesecake gets a gluten-free makeover with this easy Crustless Cheesecake recipe! Every bit as rich and indulgent as the original, minus the crust for your GF friends.
Not that Wallflour Boy needs to hear this, but this week I found myself a hot new crush. It’s steamy. It’s creamy. It’s a gluten-free-themey Grade A McDreamy.
Guys, meet the Crustless Cheesecake: Builder of Happiness, Ruiner of Waistlines, and Slayer of New Year’s resolutions. (But given that it’s almost February already, we’ve all given up on those anyway, haven’t we?)
We first swiped right on each other on Allrecipes, the trendiest online forum to find a recipe match made in heaven. For me, it was lust at first sight: I’m inextricably attracted to desserts like this gorgeous Neapolitan Cheesecake (ah, what a passionate affair!), and this new New York Style Cheesecake in town was definitely my type, even more so because I could already see the gluten-free possibilities. Tall, creamy, and irresistibly dreamy?
Swipe. Me. In.
The next day, after a brief trip to the grocery store for some first date essentials (cream cheese, soy milk, eggs, sour cream), I went back to my place and nervously began preparing for our rendez-vous.
We had agreed to meet at a shared favorite venue: the Kitchen Table, 3 o’ clock on a sunny Saturday. I was wearing my best apron (a crisp, dark blue piece), and as I whisked and stirred and poured, I could feel the excitement in me growing until I was sure it would overflow like so much excess batter in an undersized springform pan.
And then the oven timer rang, and one excruciating hour of waiting later, out came…perfection.
Even then, though, I was forced to practice the painful art of patience. I waited, eager and anxious, until McDreamy cooled and I could open the oven door. I waited another eight hours while McDreamy sat in the refrigerator while I pined away outside, drowning in a puddle of my own drool on the kitchen floor. And finally, finally, the magical moment came and I cut myself a slice.
It was, my friends, no longer lust at first bite–it was true love at first bite. After all, this Gluten-free Crustless Cheesecake is all a girl could ask for: dense, creamy, smooth, and a match made in dessert heaven.
But you know what I love best of all about this recipe? Unlike real-life relationships, I get to share this one with all you guys, too! So grab your whisks and get ready to be whisked away into a dreamland of gluten-free cheesecake bliss. Trust me, you’re going to definitely want to swipe right for this one.
- 2 (8 oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup milk or soy milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform pan, lining the bottom with a circle of parchment paper if available. Line the bottom/outside edges tightly with foil, making sure to seal the cracks at the bottom of the springform pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Blend in milk, then mix eggs in one at a time until just incorporated. Stir in sour cream and vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place pan inside a large roasting pan.
- Carefully fill roasting pan with one inch of boiling hot water (this is your water bath!), taking care not to splash any into your cheesecake batter. Transfer to preheated oven.
- Bake for 50 minutes, then turn off oven and allow cheesecake to sit inside for 1 hour.
- Cover springform pan and refrigerate for at least 5-6 hours, or overnight. Slice and serve deliciously cihlled!
Important: Do not open your oven during the oven cooling period! Allowing the cheesecake to cool gradually inside will prevent the it from cracking.